It only happens once a year and it’s a day worth celebrating for sure … we’re talking about National Junk Food Day, which happens to be today (July 21st). If there was ever a day to leave the salad in the fridge and treat yourself to some fat, sugar, salt, carbs and calories, this is it. In honor of this food holiday, a new report reveals Americans’ favorite junk foods.
Casinos.com analyzed Google Trends and search data for the last year to determine what the most popular junk foods are in each state.
- They purposely left out fast food restaurants, since they get their own holiday, National Fast Food Day, November 16th.
- They also didn’t include drinks, sodas, or anything you could consider healthy.
- America’s favorite junk food in 2023 is … Sour Patch Kids. They’re the favorite in seven states: Arizona, California, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan and North Carolina.
- KitKat is the most popular chocolate bar, it’s the favorite in Nevada, New York, Oregon and Washington.
- Pringles also did well and were the favorite in four states: Illinois, Indiana, Montana and Utah.
- Skittles win in two states: Idaho and Nebraska.
- Starburst got two as well: Minnesota and Washington, D.C.
- Animal crackers are the favorite in Maine, Missouri, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia.
- Butterfinger is the top choice in Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- Nerds are the favorite in Florida, South Carolina and Virginia.
- Fruit Roll Ups are the favorite of Alaska and Louisiana.
- Gummy Bears win in two states: Colorado and Hawaii.
- Cheez-Its are the favorite junk food in Kansas and Oklahoma.
- And a lot of junk foods were the favorite in just one state. Doritos - Arkansas, Granola Bars - Connecticut, Milk Duds - Georgia, Oreos - Iowa, Ruffles - Mississippi, Milky Way - New Hampshire, Chips Ahoy! - New Jersey, Beef Jerky - New Mexico, Twizzlers - North Dakota, Reese’s - Ohio, Swedish Fish - Pennsylvania, Baby Ruth - South Dakota, M&M’s - Wisconsin and Twinkie - Wyoming.