The Fourth of July is just days away and millions of people across the country are looking forward to a long weekend. The holiday is typically a time people go to the beach or a backyard BBQ, but what are their plans this year? A new report from the National Retail Federation gives us some insight.
Their poll of more than 8-thousand U.S. adults reveals:
- An overwhelming majority - 87% - of Americans plan to celebrate the Fourth of July in some way.
- The most popular thing people plan to do for the holiday is a cookout or picnic, with nearly two-thirds (65%) going to one.
- Fireworks and community celebrations are also on the agenda for 42%.
- Other ways Americans plan to celebrate Independence Day include traveling/vacation (14%) and going to a parade (13%).
- Overall, Americans will be spending an average of $93.34 on food for the holiday.
- Spending on food items for the holiday is expected to reach a total of $9.5-billion overall.
- About a third (32%) also plan to buy more patriotic items for their Fourth of July celebration.