St. Patrick’s Day is a good excuse to do something different with the family. There are plenty of games and activities to do with the kids…and adults in your fam! Here are a few ideas from “Today.”
- Painted rock contest. “A wonderful way to get kids off the couch and in touch with their inner Monets, this one requires them to find rocks, paint them, and win a prize for the most on-theme design. You want them to source flat rocks (those are easier to paint). You, in turn, supply the multi-surface paint, brushes, and if you’re even more determined, glue and glitter. Set the timer. Whoever makes St. Patrick proud wins a prize.
- Rainbow Game: “Buy Airheads chews, which come in a rainbow assortment of colors. Divide kids into teams. Give each team the rainbow-colored candy. Whoever creates the most unique rainbow, using the candy (and this is harder than it sounds, because Airheads are very, very sticky), wins.”
- Shamrock hopscotch. “Desperate to get your kids off their screens and into the outdoors? The good news is, this classic game never gets tired. And green chalk gives it a festive twist. Instead of boxes, draw a shamrock, and instead of rocks, use gold coins (or any candy, for that matter). It’s a win-win.”
- Gold coin toss. “Not only does this test your kids’ hand-eye coordination, but it also makes them have to focus. Get green paper cups, and those gold coins we mentioned above. Place the cups at various distances, making them harder and harder to reach. And kids toss gold coins into the cups. The one who gets the most coins into the pot of gold — well, that’s one lucky kid.”
- Leprechaun costume contest
- Lucky leprechaun game. A scavenger hunt featuring all things St. Paddy’s Day
- Leprechaun trapping game. Thanks to Instagram for this one!