Giving Tuesday is today, and there are plenty of ways to give without spending money. This is the 10th year of the charitable day. If you aren’t able to donate money, try these ways:
- Volunteer Your Time - Your hands could be what your favorite organization needs most.
- Wreaths Across America - Wreaths Across America is a national organization that places wreaths for interred veterans and heavily relies on volunteers to fulfill its mission. Truck drivers can volunteer to transport weather across the nation, while group leaders and location coordinators help local teams coordinate placement of more than 2.4 million wreaths. Or you can work with a local team to place wreaths at more than 3,400 locations nationwide on December 17, 2022.
- Crisis Text Line - Support mental healthcare this year by volunteering with Crisis Text Line, a nonprofit that offers 24/7 text-based mental health support and crisis intervention. Sign up to volunteer, and Crisis Text Line will train you online in a 30-hour program. You can take volunteer shifts (usually four hours per week) responding to those in need—all from your couch.
- Host a Virtual Fundraiser - A virtual fundraiser is a perfect fit if you want to help your favorite charity raise cash but can’t donate yourself. You can launch a Facebook fundraiser for almost any organization and your friends, family and network can contribute. If you’re not on Facebook, get creative on other socials.
- Help A Food Bank - You can donate food or your time.
- Kennel to Couch - As an organization that works to better the lives of at-risk pit bulls in shelters across the country, Kennel to Couch uses virtual events to raise funds and awareness throughout the year. So if you’re a fan of these pups, affectionately called “velvet hippos,” reach out to the Kennel to Couch team to see how you could do sit ups, crunches or log a few miles with your furry friend in tow to score a few bucks for down-on-their-luck pups.
- Donate Goods - If you’re in the mood to give away this season, you can clean the house and do good at the same time. There are several places you can donate.
- Be a Megaphone - Share your favorite nonprofit’s Giving Tuesday campaign, and add the #GivingTuesday hashtag. You can also share an infographic or a meme created by an organization to raise awareness. And you can follow your favorite organizations and join their supporter groups on Facebook.
If you want to directly see the result of your kindness, head out with goodie bags of necessities like water and snacks for the homeless and hand them out. If you’ve got spare coats, blankets, or throws add them in.