In case you missed it...
Another American Music Awards are in the books and Gabby Barrett was the big winner in the country categories, taking home two trophies, Favorite Country Album for "Goldmine" and Favorite Country Song for "The Good Ones." Meanwhile, Carrie Underwood added to her AMA haul, winning Favorite Female Country Artist, and also winning Favorite Inspirational Artist, bringing her total AMA wins to 17. Luke Bryan took home Favorite Male Country Artist, his fifth win in that category, while and Dan + Shay nabbed Favorite country Duo or Group, their third straight win in the category. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift continued her hot streak at the AMAs. She took home two awards, extending her lead as the most awarded artist in AMA history with 34 trophies. She won Favorite Female Pop Artist and also won Favorite Pop Album for “evermore.” (Check out a complete winner's list here.) Host Cardi B, in a floor length feathered mohawk, kicked off the show in an explosive way, literally, walking out as pyro shot off around her. She then spent most of the show basically screaming, but the crowd ate it up. Of course, in addition to the winners, folks tune into the AMAs for the performances, and there certainly were some great ones last night. Performances included:
- Jason Aldean and Carrie Underwood performed their number one single “If I Didn’t Love You,” with downtown Nashville behind them.
- Mickey Guyton blew the roof off the place with her performance of “All American.”
- After giving folks a tour of his hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee, Kane Brown performed “One Mississippi” from Tennessee State University (TSU).
- The show had the recurring theme of celebrating “My Hometown,” and that included a “Battle of Boston,” featuring New Kids on the Block, who performed “The Right Stuff,” “Step By Step,” and “Hangin’ Tough,” and New Edition, who performed “Candy Girl,” “Mr. Telephone Man,” "Can You Stand the Rain” and “If It Isn’t Love,” with the bands coming together for a mash-up of “Is This the End" and "Please Don't Go Girl.”
- Walker Hayes brought his “Fancy Like” dance to AMAs, although this time he had some professional dancers taking on the moves.
Congrats are in order for Maddie & Tae’s Taylor Dye, who is expecting a baby. The singer shared the news on Instagram, saying "baby Kerr is joining us earthside in spring '22.” This is the first child for Taylor and her husband Josh Kerr. Another post by Dye shared the baby will be a girl! The parents-to-be tied the knot in February 2020 after a couple years of dating each other.