This week, Social Media Expert John Marino, brings to light some of the TERMS OF SERVICE for the new Facebook Messenger app. With over 1 BILLION downloads, there are some frightening terms in the Terms of Service agreement:
- Allows the app to change the state of network connectivity
- Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.
- Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
- Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.
- Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
- Allows the app to read you phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
- Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals.
- Allows the app to read personal profile information stored on your device, such as your name and contact information. This means the app can identify you and may send your profile information to others.
- Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
- Allows the app to get a list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.
You can read for yourself the ENTIRE Terms of Service by checking out the Facebook Messenger app on iTunes and the Google Play store.
Do YOU use the app?? What do you think of it? Email Jillene@WLLR.com or tweet John at @John_Marino... we'd love to know what you think of the app and whether or not these terms turn you off from downloading in the future!
Every Wednesday, Social Media Expert John Marino joins us to feature a #HotApp of the week! Tweet him at @John_Marino!